The small chalet was originally built in 1916 as a holiday home for a businessman. Hitler first stayed Haus Wachenfeld in 1922. Hitler purchased the chalet in 1933 using his profits from Mein Kampf.
During 1935-36 much of Haus Wachenfeld was refurbished and expanded. The renovations were overseen by architect Alois Degano. This is when it was christened as The Berghof.
Hitler had vegetable gardens to supply his vegetarian diet. The British Homes & Gardens reported a “light jade color scheme” in 1938.
Hitler enjoyed The Berghof and entertained such people as British Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain (4th picture above) and Benito Mussolini. Hitler left The Berghof for the last time July 14, 1944.
This home saw two separate attempts to assassinate Hitler. On March 11, 1944 by Captain Eberhard von Breitenbuch, and as made famous with the Tom Cruise film Valkyrie, on June 7, 1944.
The area was bombed by the Allies on April 25, 1945. It was then set fire on May 4 by departing SS troops.
In 1952 the Bavarian government blew up what was left of the ruins as part of an agreement with American to regain those lands and to discourage it being made into a shrine or Neo-Nazi inspiration.
The only parts that remain visible of The Berghof are a few retaining walls as can be seen in the last photo.